Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Black & white

In Feb when we toured a mid-century modern home in Palm Springs I was intrigued by this framed photograph on a wall:
Of course there's the obvious reason I was intrigued: a naked man.

But I found it unusual that a black & white photo would be in a home simply bursting with color.  Typically I'm not a fan of black & white photography because I always think "Wouldn't this look even better if it were in color?"  But this photograph may have been taken before color film was invented - who knows?  There's nothing in the composition or background that dates it.

Another thing I liked about this photograph was that, although the man is completely nude, the photo doesn't come across as being sexually suggestive.  He doesn't appear to be posing.  In fact it looks to me like the subject may have been unaware the photo was being taken.  I imagine he and his boyfriend just finished a light breakfast (1/2 a grapefruit and a cup of coffee) and were just about to go for a swim when the boyfriend picked up a camera and snapped this photo.  It seems completely natural.

I liked the photo enough to take this photo of it and share it with you all.

3 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

VERY nice white buns! :)

Anonymous said...

This black and white photo is a well known photo of Steve McQueen.

Ur-spo said...

In this day and age of 'clothing optional' resorts in PS, one doesn't see tan lines much anymore.